Thursday, June 2, 2011

As my mother would say, "I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill."


Well, it's not exactly a hill; you don't get those until you cross I-10, but it is blueberry season in South Louisiana. Yet, with the record-breaking temperatures and extreme drought conditions, I'm sure it won't last long so we have been taking full advantage of it, going twice in the last 4 days with another trip planned for day after tomorrow.


We picked.


And picked.


And tried not to eat as we did. But once we made it to the car, we dug in without even waiting to wash them. And once we were home, we set some aside to eat, some to freeze and some to use in recipes.

Two of my favorite recipes are Blueberry Pancakes and Lemon-Blueberry Bundt Cake. For the pancakes, I used Joy the Baker's recipe for Milk Chocolate Chip Pancakes (my favorite pancake recipe) and simply subsituted the blueberries for the chocolate chips. They were delicious; however, because I love the blueberry-lemon combo, I think I will also add some lemon zest and either lemon juice or lemon extract to my next batch of pancakes. My favorite bundt cake recipe combines the two flavors also and is from All You magazine and was featured in their May 2010 issue.

For anyone interested in picking your own blueberries or other fresh produce, PickYourOwn.org is a fabulous resource. Picking your own produce is a fun and educational family outing and an excellent way to support your local farmers. In addition, the prices are often cheaper than what you would pay in the store for a better quality of fruits and vegetables. For example, we paid $1.50/lb for our pick-your-own blueberries, and William learned a lot about how things grow, as well as gained a great sense of accomplishment for having harvested them himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$BlogItemCreate$>

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...